Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freshmen and Sophomores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Freshmen and Sophomores Reply with quote

What do y'all think of what's going on? What are you planning to do? What do you think of the Administrationn and Tulane now?

I'd love to hear your point of view.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
Kays

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that before all this, I was an avid Tulane and Cowen supporter. Now, not only do I feel betrayed, but I'm lost, confused, angry, and I feel that my future is completely turned upside down. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do. I would do anything to stay at Tulane in my city with all my family and my friends, but unless they decide to keep the program, there's nothing left for me at Tulane academically. I've been trying not to think about going to another school (because right now there is no other school I want to go to and I get upset everytime I think about it), but unless something is done, it's a definite possibility. I have full scholarships to Tulane and, if the department can't be saved, I at least intend to fight for full compensation.

EE/CE '09
mpoole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to tulane to study mechanical engineering. Not biomedical, chemical, but mechanical. I wonder now what I busted my butt for all semester, now that my program is being cut. I feel hurt and betrayed. I can't believe that in the 21st century, anyone would have the gall to cut engineering programs, especially when they are "a distinguished private research institution." This enitire deal has seemed SO shady to me from the start, and I certainly hope every member of that board has trouble sleeping at night, knowing what they destroyed.

Meghan Poole
Mechanical Engineering
Class of 2008
squareceo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brain hurts just thinking about what I'm think of Tulane. I shall begin by saying some hurricane destroyed our city. I was forced to attend another university(LSU) for my first semester of college. I was not too dissapointed by this though as I had never attended Tulane and therefore had no past experience of college to use as "precedence." Then a HUGE bombshell expoleded on me when it was declared that we were still "Tulane students" regardless of where we are attending, and thus must pay for a semester of Tulane whuch we did not recieve. I fought with myself for months wondering if I should end up paying 30,000 dollars on what is otherwise a free education(that being LSU). After a long period of contemplation I decided that it would b best to still goto Tulane, because if we have to pay tuition for the fall semester then they should be able to kepp all their faculty and staff. Boy was I wrong. So far my expeirence with Tulane has just been a series of dissapointments and if it still goes on as is then it will continue to be a dissapointment.
seanu64

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Freshmen and I was supposed to be getting a major in Computer Sciences with a focus in Video Game development and a minor in Japanese. The only reason I picked Tulane was because I was going to be able to get this major minor. Because of this, I stuck by Tulane through Katrina. I stuck by Tulane when they told us to register as visiting students, even though I questioned their motives. I stuck by Tulane when I had to force myself through their phonelines to get in contact with the administration to try and see if I needed to register for my Spring semester at Tulane or at The University of Louisville in Kentucky. I stuck by Tulane even though I caught insane amounts of flack from my father and his whole side of the family at my decision to return to, at the time, a devastated city. I stuck with them through everything they drug all of the students and "Faculty" through, and right after I finished my last final at my host institution I come to find out my program gets cut well after the cut off date for me to register at the University I was staying at. To say I wasn't blown away would be a lie. I was angry, confused, and lost. But thanks to some advice from an upperclassman I was able to find the University of Louisiana in Lafeyette. They luckly have my degree here. I won't be able to learn Japanese, but I can do that on my own ^^. So, at this point I'm just happy I found a college to attend.
(when I was starting college no one told me it would be this fun... lol)
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squareceo and seanu64, you guys got screwed royally. I would re-evaluate and see if it's possible to accelerate your time at Tulane. See if you can finish in 3 years....it will be well worth the effort. Based on what I heard today from Scott, anyone with a sophomore standing can be awarded an Engineering degree. I know you all are freshmen, but people have finished Tulane in 3 years. Just don't expect to be at the Boot on a Tuesday night ever.
perturbed1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be too negative here but an engineering degree from a defunct engineering school isn't apt to be very impressive on the old resume and at the rate Cowen is wrecking anything latrina didn't get to it might be a degree from a defunct university.
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess you either weren't at the Q&A session with him this morning or you didn't hear what I heard him say.....Dean Altiero will head the new Science and Engineering school, and Tulane will have a significant surplus in 2008 due to this year's cuts from Engineering. Most, if not all sophomores will graduate on time, i.e. 2008. Read between the lines.
ggreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't want to be too negative here but an engineering degree from a defunct engineering school isn't apt to be very impressive on the old resume and at the rate Cowen is wrecking anything latrina didn't get to it might be a degree from a defunct university."

Oh, but didn't you hear? A few years from now, you'll forget that you majored in engineering and the only important thing will be that you graduated from Tulane. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: