Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NPR's News Hour Story On Colleges Re-opening in New Orleans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Comments on news
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: NPR's News Hour Story On Colleges Re-opening in New Orleans Reply with quote

Today's NewsHour on PBS had a story about New Orleans colleges reopening. At least this story gave some coverage to the fact that Cowen eliminated several engineering programs, and it made it apparent that the decision to do so was his...What a lame explanation Cowen gives - this man who will serve as but one of many presidents throughout Tulane's history is single-handedly ending a 100+ year old tradition without so much as a discussion. The report finishes the brief mention of the engineering school's plight with the voice-over saying "Cowen says his decision is final". What an ass to think that he alone knows what is best for the institution? Clearly anyone who he might say has advised him in this thought process (if you can call it that) is nothing more than a yes-man, including his "blue-ribbon" panel and his board at Tulane. It was too bad that Brian Cole - the engineering student interviewed, was only given a few seconds of air time, while Cowen gets to go on and on about how after Katrina Tulane almost closed because "I didn't know where all of the students were! I didn't know where the faculty were! And I was in Houston!" What a weird rationale for saying that the school almost closed - of course if there was as much as a glimmer of hope that the school would re-open, all of the faculty and students who were committed to Tulane would come back - it only stands to reason. The fact is that the only reason that the engineering school is closing is because of this one stubborn man's determination to close it, and for no good reason. Anyway, here is the link to the NewsHour's home page - do a search for "Back to Class in New Orleans" which is the name of the segment that aired today:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/video/
bethmcardle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Permanent is Permanent Reply with quote

When I was a senior in Engineering at Tulane, we had Eamon Kelly. Kelly eliminated the men's basketball team "permanently" after the shoe box full of money, point shaving scandal (see I remember more than what my major was...) Anyway, when he was asked if the program would be reinstated ever, his reply was "permanent is permanent"

So don't listen when cowen says "it's final"
Dr. Ash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no, and it's not over now. Nothing is over until we say it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Comments on news All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: