Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jan 18th TOM FRIEDMAN EDITORIAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJW02

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Jan 18th TOM FRIEDMAN EDITORIAL Reply with quote

For those with a NY Times Select Account:

http://select.nytimes.com/2006/01/18/opinion/18friedman.html?n=Top%2fOpinion%2fEditorials%20and%20Op%2dEd%2fOp%2dEd%2fColumnists

Comments:

The University of Texas at least seems to understand and appreciate ENGR, its applicability, and its importance. It's using the happenings in its environment to enhance education. I remember when the Israel building was going to be a "green" building, but I think Gibson Hall scratched that idea as well.

Even Dr. Van Buskirk, former BME prof and ENGR dean said seems at least disappointed. 100 yrs down the drain . . . for what? These seems to me to be the least "strategic" option.

I also have a problem with an advisory panel that is primarily composed of former university presidents. It reinforces only one viewpoint, that of people at the top. Both the Board of Administrators and Tulane's officers, in my opinion, have failed to examine the benefits offered by Engineering in the long term. Emory (presumably our closest competitor though admittedly ahead of us now) has identified the importance of applied science and engineering to its mission by partnering with GA Tech to offer a joint BME program.

Gibson Hall and the Board of Administrators has been neither candid with the University community (staff, faculty, students, alumni) nor transparent in its dealings. I am choosing to vote no confidence in the administration (both President Cowen and the Administrators) with my checkbook. I think it would say a great deal if the faculty were to follow an example set last Spring by their Harvard colleagues and vote no confidence in President Cowen and the Board of Administrators.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: