Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Med Center Reopenning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Med Center Reopenning Reply with quote

I was watching WWL and they've got a story on how Tulane's med center is reopenning at 3 pm today.

This is extremely important because there aren't enough emergency rooms in the city.

Here's one thing I found interesting about the story. HCA owns the hospital. HCA, not Tulane, was the one that pumped the money back into the facility to get it back on line. I've got the whole thing on TiVo, too.

I'm still trying to figure out where the $300 million in damages came from. If this news report is correct, HCA has the med center. Uptown didn't get $300 million in damages. UNO, a larger university in a more damaged area, took $103 million in damages. Hmm...
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Tulane Hospital Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that Tulane considered the old hospital a total loss, and that they were buying a smaller hospital in a different location.

Has anyone else heard anything to this effect? Could this be why Tulane didn't front any money to fix up the old med-center?
Lee Hoffman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, according to the Times-Pic, HCA owns 80% of the hospital while Tulane owns 20%. What is unclear is who owns what percentage of the medical school (I would assume Tulane owns 100% of that) and how those costs are differentiated. It will probably be VERY tangled and complicated to figure out, like much of what Tulane does.
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One very interesting about the reopenning:

Nagin gave a speech where he repeatedly thanked HCA for all their faith in the city and all. Over and over he talked about HCA. The entire time, he didn't say Tulane once. The person who told me this said it was painfully clear he was going out of his way to leave out any reference to Tulane. Hmm... Why would Nagin go out of his way to leave Tulane out of his speech, especially since he's an alumni?

Putting HCA before Tulane was definitey reflected in the local news' coverage of the story.

I'm going to see if I can find a rebroadcast of the speech to see if I agree with the characterization of Nagin's speech. I looked at the news and there was a snippet of a minute or two in the speech and he did talk at length about HCA without any reference to Tulane. I'll see if I check out the rest of the speech.
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: nagin Reply with quote

Nagin is a tulane grad?

I never knew that!
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nagin got his undergrad from Tuskegee and his MBA from Tulane.
Dr. Ash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hospital is 20% Tulane owned, and 80% HCA owned.
gbonie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: HCA Reply with quote

By the way, HCA is the corporation founded by the Frist family, as in Dr. Bill Frist, the U.S. Senate Majority Leader.

Just wanted everyone to be aware of the connections.
squareceo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the same Frist who decided to say out in public a week after the hurricane to just bulldoze the entire city????
cenla alum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm HAC does indeed own 80% of Tulane Hospital - they sold it a few years ago. The question was how committed HCA was going to be to going back into that facility. Because of the ownership, HCA also has some say, and this I don't understand in what TU does with the med school facilities and faculty. This is where the real losses were downtown. You have to remember there are multiple campuses down there - TCC, Tidewater, Deming, Med School itself, etc.

The TU losses probably didn't include the Hospital costs except for the portion TU would be reponsible for based ont 20% ownership.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: