Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Response to AAUP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bethmcardle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Response to AAUP Reply with quote

Again, Cowen says:
Quote:
The University will sustain propery damages and operating losses in excess of $300 million in this fiscal year alone.
Again, I ask, has he opened the books to audit to prove this statement? Is he sending substantiating evidence along with that letter to the AAUP. To me, he just appears to be the politician, invoking the feel sorry for us because of TMB Katrina, don't question what we are doing to overcome it you heartless people.

I have written two letters, one about the AAU's recommendation policy to encourage MORE science and engineering undergraduate programs, and another asking for financial information. I have gotten no responses. It is like there is an alumni database with a check next to my name saying, ignore this person, we've already sent the form letter.
jmikowski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough, we know people who work for the call center and ask alumni for donations. They were instructed not to call Engineering...and I believe Newcomb alumni or thier spouses, so that they don't get tied up listening to angry alumni. So in all honesty, you most likely do have a check next to your name somewhere.
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: call center update Reply with quote

I work for the call center, and we are not calling Newcomb of Engr. alumni right now. It's not the same list that Cowen's office would have though. Our boss specifically pulled Newcomb and Engr. out of our call list, because we are dialing by hand now (it used to all be computerized) and she figured they would not be the most effective use of our time.

Her boss, someone from Alumni affairs, said that we will be calling them eventually though, it will just be after we get done with Tulane college, Med School, Bus. School, Law school, etc.

It also wasnt only her idea, most of the kids in the call center dont want to call Newcomb and Engineering, because they know we are going to get yelled at. We have already called a few Newcomb by accident, who went to grad school here, or are the spouse of a Tulane college grad, and they have not been very understanding, lets say, to the callers.

I will let y'all know if/when we do start calling them, so the Alumni know what to expect. BTW our script doesn't mention the renewal plan at all, and we are not supposed to talk about any cuts unless an alum specifically asks us about them.
Dr. Ash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the reply to the AAUP.

Ironic, indeed, that Parviz is not only chair of the recently axed EECS department, but President of the local AAUP chapter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: