Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combine NOT Cut Programs and Departments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCzar35

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Combine NOT Cut Programs and Departments Reply with quote

Since the Renewal plan affected the entire university why not consider changing the School of Architecture. Architecture, I believe in the early days was more aligned with civil engineering. Surely the architecture people would not like the following, but the E-School people do not care for the proposed Post-Katrina changes and cuts either. Just as Computer Science (CS) is and non-engineering degree it is part of the EECS department in the E-School. If you want to you can option for Computer Engineering instead of CS with more electronics and engineering classes. Why not merge CE and A-School into a focused civil engineering and architecture school in much the same way EE and CS are allied. The old A-School like the old E-School would go away and be part of a new Science, Engineering and Architecture School (SEA). In the new Architectural and Civil Engineering Department (ACE) department one could option to take a pure non-engineering architecture degree, just as the Computer Science majors do in the EECS Department. One could option for a mixed Architectural and Civil Engineering degree known as Architectural Engineering requiring more core and civil engineering classes. Really the field of architecture with the advent of CADD programs, etc. is a changing into project management and aesthetic design. The demand for pure architects is down, but Tulane could take the lead in updating that profession with better technological skills. As far as the ME Department it could be merged with ACE as MACE or with EECS as Electro-Mechanical Engineering-Computer Science Department (EMECS). I work for an electric utility and ME's are in big demand in the power industry, and ME and EE merger would make great sense and focus more research dollars from energy company's like Entergy and CLECO. I would merge ChE and Bio-Med Engineering into the CHBMedE Department since they more closely allied with the M-School R&D anyway. This way no one is left un-touch by Dean Cowen's Renewal Plan and it keeps the core competencies, focuses them better and does it at an even lower cost than his plan. I know the A-School will fight, but so are we. Also as a side note, the new SEA School could form a better cooperation with the B-School and offer Engineering Management options with and MBA to follow. Now this is really a "world class" approach. If only Cowen would have included us in the beginning we could have had this very discourse with out a big fight. I believe this is part of the problem because I don't think Cowen wanted consensus, he wanted a coupe, so while some of our ideas are good I think he will just shoot them down. We really need to put these kind of alternate ideas in front of the BOA-BOT to give them second thought before the final vote on March 15th. Sending these to Dean Alterio and Cowen without directly copying the BOA-BOT, is a waste of time, they will just sit on them. We need to broadcast these ideas to the BOA and the world. This would not only help Tulane's image and status, it would help New Orleans and the region in the Post-Katrina recovery with a more focused engineering educational and research program in this region.
perturbed1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting suggestions there but I do not think the administration is entertaining any new ideas or any ideas other than the one they have selected and committed to.

Essentially they have gotten rid of engineering because they don't want to maintain or expand it and they want to free up some resources for things with "Transformation" , "Partnership" and/or "Poverty" in their names as these are buzzwords much in vogue in the grant writting world. So we have "The Partnership for the Transformation of Urban Communities". It isn't defined or funded but it is named as is "The Institute for the Study of Race and Poverty", and the "Institute for the Transformation of Pre-K-12 Education". Totally lacking a School of Education we certainly have a lot of "world class" knowledge to contribute there huh?

They say people buy the sizzle and not the steak. If that is the case the world will be beating a path to Jabba the Hutt's door in Gibson. He slings more BS than a vacation time-share salesman.

By the way I think that might be Dean Cherrey in her younger days at the end of the leash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: