Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTFR Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: FTFR Report Reply with quote

Faculty Tenure, Freedom and Responsibility is a senior comittee within the University Senate. At the February Senate meeting, they were asked to investigate the AAUP letter to Cowen, et. al. and Cowen's response letter. The comittee has issued its findings.

http://rapidshare.de/files/15106491/2006_02_22_FTFR_Committee_response_to_the_Senate_after_reading_AAUP-Tulane_correspondence.pdf.html
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting
perturbed1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I think I would make a pretty good thief in my next life."
Scott Cowen 3/8/2006

The Zeus of New Orleans was in the gasbag capitol of the western world last night attempting to dislocate both arms patting himself on the back for his remarkable performance post-katrina. I will relate a a few of his remarks as they relate to financial exigency.

First he said cutting engineering will save $3-6 million a year and that the cut atheletic programs will save $6 million.

Second he said ge gace Belcor a blank check to get the campus open by January and wasn't sure where the money would come from.

Third he said they are not touching the endowment.

Fourth he said they have raised $45 million in new contributions since katrina.

Fifth they expect to lose 8-10% of the faculty by next Fall but that they do not expect anymore layoffs.

Six applications are up but next years freshman class will only be about 1400. When asked why if applications are up we would be cutting enrollment he said because the quality of applicants was down substantially. He hinted that even at 1400 the stats of the incoming class would not match the last couple of years. I specifically asked him if it wouldn't be better to lower admissions standards for a year or two and fill the class rather than make cuts in academic programs and layoff faculty. He said no and tuition only represents a third of the universities revenue. I was going to follow up with pointing out that 200-300 additional students even at the average discount rate of 33% would represent way more money than he was saving by cutting engineering but didn't want to garner him any sympathy from the crowd by attacking him.

Significantly he did not get a standing ovation. Two people tried to get one going but everyone else kept to their seats and delivered polite but tepid applause. The majority of the crowd appeared to be alumni mostly younger. A couple of questions came from Newcomb alums and Zeus was adamant that Newcomb was going to be cut and that if anyone didn't think so then they were going to be disappointed after the board meeting. In fact he was borderline rude to one questioner.

He also said the cruise ship turned out to be a financial bust and probably unnecessary. They are trying to sublet space on it. He also confirmed that Tulane paid to open Lusher for the Spring. I don't remember if he said $1.6 million or if I am recalling that number from a different source.

The bottom line is if you are starting new programs abd deliberately cutting revenue streams bu decreasing your freshman class and not touching the endowment I don't know how you can claim financial exigency. These are choices, maybe good or maybe bad but they are not exigencies.
wckirby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perturbed1 wrote:
Quote:
"I think I would make a pretty good thief in my next life."
Scott Cowen 3/8/2006

The Zeus of New Orleans was in the gasbag capitol of the western world last night attempting to dislocate both arms patting himself on the back for his remarkable performance post-katrina. I will relate a a few of his remarks as they relate to financial exigency.

First he said cutting engineering will save $3-6 million a year and that the cut atheletic programs will save $6 million.

Second he said ge gace Belcor a blank check to get the campus open by January and wasn't sure where the money would come from.

Third he said they are not touching the endowment.

Fourth he said they have raised $45 million in new contributions since katrina.

Fifth they expect to lose 8-10% of the faculty by next Fall but that they do not expect anymore layoffs.

Six applications are up but next years freshman class will only be about 1400. When asked why if applications are up we would be cutting enrollment he said because the quality of applicants was down substantially. He hinted that even at 1400 the stats of the incoming class would not match the last couple of years. I specifically asked him if it wouldn't be better to lower admissions standards for a year or two and fill the class rather than make cuts in academic programs and layoff faculty. He said no and tuition only represents a third of the universities revenue. I was going to follow up with pointing out that 200-300 additional students even at the average discount rate of 33% would represent way more money than he was saving by cutting engineering but didn't want to garner him any sympathy from the crowd by attacking him.

Significantly he did not get a standing ovation. Two people tried to get one going but everyone else kept to their seats and delivered polite but tepid applause. The majority of the crowd appeared to be alumni mostly younger. A couple of questions came from Newcomb alums and Zeus was adamant that Newcomb was going to be cut and that if anyone didn't think so then they were going to be disappointed after the board meeting. In fact he was borderline rude to one questioner.

He also said the cruise ship turned out to be a financial bust and probably unnecessary. They are trying to sublet space on it. He also confirmed that Tulane paid to open Lusher for the Spring. I don't remember if he said $1.6 million or if I am recalling that number from a different source.

The bottom line is if you are starting new programs abd deliberately cutting revenue streams bu decreasing your freshman class and not touching the endowment I don't know how you can claim financial exigency. These are choices, maybe good or maybe bad but they are not exigencies.

What meeting is this from and is there a tape?
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
perturbed1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meeting was in Washington up on Capitol Hill at the Dirksen senate office building. It was billed as another Town Hall Meeting. Not much advance notice. Got a postcard two days before the event. Sorry don't have a tape. Wasn't sure what you could bring in to the senate office building these days so didn't even bring a camera.

Scott and a bunch of other NOLA notables were up there lobbying. I didn't see any politicians - you can usually spot them by their pointy ears and scaly tails:-)

He gave his standard spiel, had a few planted questions, but to be fair did take a good number of questions from around the room. I had four or five young alumni sitting around me all law school or engineering as near as I could tell. There was one who thought Scott was doing a tremendous job and he was surprised to find that the other opinions varied from lukewarm to hostile. The crowd was polite but not as enthusiastic as I expected. I really thought he would get a conquering heros reception.

I can tell you he must be feeling some heat from the Newcomb alumnae and doesn't like it. He told one questioer "you sound just like all those messages on the internet" so I guess he reads this stuff.
jmikowski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been informed that they check this site constantly...you can tell as when we post things they have a response for it fairly quickly.

Also, apparently the administration is drafting a letter to give to board members so that they can answer emails. Too bad the letter is coming straight from the administration...I always thought that the board members would be smart people and could speak for themselves. I guess Cowen does not feel that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: