Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New AAUP Letter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: New AAUP Letter Reply with quote

http://savetulaneengineering.org/files/aauptotulane.pdf

There's just one part of the last letter I'd like to point out for special attention. The very last sentance:

"We shall doubtless be writing again as additional developments unfold."

This isn't going away anytime soon.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
perturbed1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for anybody interested in the general topic of misspent endowment money and lawsuits:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06038/651628.stm

So far the two sides in this one, Princeton University and the Robertson family have collectively spent $22 million. The dispute is over $30+ million 1961 endowment for the Woodrow Wilson School of Government that has now grown to $650 million and which the heirs claim has both been misspent and looted. In the process they have hire forensic accountants to pour ove tens of thousands of Princeton documents. Interestingly one of the things they discovered was that the university charged the endowment twice for buildings and equipment. First they charged them for building the buildings and then they charged them for depreciation. If I were a lawyer for the Newcomb women I would be taking a close look at that one. I suspect given the size of the original Newcomb donation (it was bigger than Paul's btw) that the Newcomb endowment ought to be worth more than $40 million today unless some creative accounting has been practiced along the way.

Anyway the article makes for interesting reading. It also indicates what is potentially at stake and why universities and other non-profits are very concerned about the outcome of the Robertson case.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he [Cowen] said. In a way, the hurricane prompted the university to make decisions it
could not make before the storm hit. 'Under the current way universities operate, you can't make
these decisions under normal
circumstances,' he [Cowen] said. 'It takes an event like this.'"

Wow so was it money, or did Mr Cowen use a tradgedy in so many people's lives to further a pre-existing agenda?
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this could be used to start lobbying faculty for a vote of no confidence.
perturbed1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you never tell any lies you will never have anything you have to remember.

Scott either needs to talk less or remember more. I am not sure though that Cowen woulf lose a faculty vote of confidence just yet. A lot of people still view him as a hero. I have been on his case since September and for most of that time I have felt pretty lonely and have been vigorously attacked by many if not most Tulanians. In fact I have been booted off www.collegeconfidential.com discussion board by a Tulane parent who is one of their moderators (the asshole who did it is a real putz too) so I know how firmly many support Cowen. It takes time to change minds but I do believe it is happening. The AAUP is going to slowly build a case by forcing Cowen to either lie or admit he took advantage of the situation in an impermissable way. Once he is backed into the admission or the lie then the moment will be right.

I don't think it will be far off. Faculty will be going through the appeals process, suits will be filed, there will be discovery, the Newcomb lawsuit may be permitted to continue and there will be a discovery process there and pretty soon the fat sleezebag's plans will come unravaled.
paleoboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with a tenured Tulane College professor tonight, and he was not aware of the AAUP letters. He is seriously considering an exit from Tulane. He also stated that the AAUP doesn't have much in the way of teeth.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but they could generate extremely bad publicity for Cowen and Tulane

Perhaps STE or one of us who has time could generate a faculty email list and send out the AAUP letters to all faculty. Once the faculty is aware we would be more likely to be heard.
perturbed1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the AAUP is fairly toothless except the university voluntarily adopted the AAUP standards and wrote them into the employee handbook. The employee handbook is tantamount to a contract and since they are the AAUP's standards the AAUP is in effect the expert on what they mean. That matters if a professors has to sue and of course there is the bad publicity.

Universities can get junior faculty no matter how badly they treat them but getting the big guns is a different kettle of fish. You don't lure guys like Doug Brinkley from UNO to Tulane if there is no job security and tenure means nothing.

Frankly I expect a lot of faculty to jump ship voer the next two years and likely the most productive faculty at that.
Dr. Ash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perturbed1 wrote:
Yeah the AAUP is fairly toothless except the university voluntarily adopted the AAUP standards and wrote them into the employee handbook. The employee handbook is tantamount to a contract and since they are the AAUP's standards the AAUP is in effect the expert on what they mean. That matters if a professors has to sue and of course there is the bad publicity.

Universities can get junior faculty no matter how badly they treat them but getting the big guns is a different kettle of fish. You don't lure guys like Doug Brinkley from UNO to Tulane if there is no job security and tenure means nothing.

Frankly I expect a lot of faculty to jump ship voer the next two years and likely the most productive faculty at that.

The most lethal arrow in the AAUP quiver is censure. BFD. Schools like BYU have been under censure for about a decade, and it has had no evident effect.

The employee handbook, as mentioned in another post, is not a binding contract. To quote Peter Venkman: "It's more of a guideline than a rule".

And anyone at Tulane with "horizontal mobility" is polishing up the vita. No way any playas are coming to Tulane any time soon, if ever again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: