Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draft a plan for the future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Draft a plan for the future Reply with quote

If the University Board is stuck in their ways, perhaps we could introduce a plan that would allow for the re-introduction of Engineering in 3 years or so. There are countless alumni who would give the money to make it happen. Additionally, this University will most likely be under new leadership very soon.

William Walker
Dr. Ash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With new faculty, new leadership, new everything...and just a fuck off to the faculty that they are firing?

What prospective faculty member in their right mind would come to Tulane at that point?

Seriously, who?
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: who? Reply with quote

who will come teach? young people that are eager to work as teachers, want to build departments, want to educate, want to innovate, and want to invent. that is who.

I am definitely against what has happened. But it happened and the way it looks now, it's a done deal. The Society of Tulane Engineers newsletter came in the mail (yes i'm still getting mail from Fall '05 JUST NOW!), and it focused on the rebirth of Engineering. I would hope that this group can migrate to focusing on the new face of Engineering at Tulane.

ps....I'm stoked about Comp. Sci & Comp. Eng. being aligned with Tulane's Math Department which is among the best in the nation
ggreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: who? Reply with quote

ih8scottcowen wrote:
I'm stoked about Comp. Sci & Comp. Eng. being aligned with Tulane's Math Department which is among the best in the nation

Where'd you hear that? I can't say I care for the idea, and I'm a Computer Science/Math double major. In fact, one of the reasons I liked Tulane as a prospective was that Computer Science was aligned with Engineering rather than Math. I'd rather it focus more on practical than theoretical aspects, as I fear it would when grouped with the math department.
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

math....algorithms...computer code....do you see the connection? Statistical modeling alone would be a heck of a lot easier with a math major, versus someone like myself that gets scared with anything beyond Calc 1.

Could a Tulane CS student one day model the exact force of a hurricane? And determine exactly how high levees need to be? How much of a buffer of coastal wetlands louisiana needs to keep New Orleans safe? And then animate that? I'm sure the Army Corps and Federal Gubbament would pay big bucks in grants if someone laid that on the table in 1-2 years.

The shakeup of the department hurts and sucks big time. But you have to take the good with the bad. There is a very good chance of Engineering coming back better than ever in a few years.
angryengineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Engineering is coming back, especially if you think engineering is coming back better than ever, You didn't deserve whatever degree they gave you. All the remaining engineering departments are is a gesture. As soon as they lose all credibility and are deep in the red they will get axed too and that will be soon. BME is going to have a hard time just keeping its accreditation, let alone recruiting new faculty and students. Same for Chem E. Engineering isn't even going to be granting BSE's anymore. I am of the last class at Tulane to get a BSE. And I am likely one of the very last Engineer's. If you think they are going to bring back Engineering your going to be dissapointed. It would take too much effort and cost too much for a university to rebuild an engineering program, especially when they didn't want engineering to begin with.
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you say they don't want Engineering at all? Maybe, they just don't want the current Engineering School? In the Renewal Plan, there is a school called "The School of Science and Engineering." And there is a specific department called "The Mathematics and Computational Science Department." Call me crazy, but I think they intend to put at least Computer Science into this department. Otherwise, they would have just called it the Math Department.

And accreditation is akin to getting your driver's license renewed.
angryengineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be more akin to passing a drivers exam, which the BME's will be doing it without their glasses. They stand a chance, but it doesn't look good. At least not without hiring some new faculty to teach the basics. And frankly, if they don't want the current school, and they won't be offering engineering degrees anymore, and they've tried to get rid of engineering in the past and finally succeeded, why in the name of God would they go through the expense and trouble of starting it back?

Especially since they haven't said that they wil, only hinted that it was a possibility so that people like you would get your hopes up and say, oh well, I'll let it go for now, its not like its permanent.
ggreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ih8scottcowen wrote:
math....algorithms...computer code....do you see the connection? Statistical modeling alone would be a heck of a lot easier with a math major, versus someone like myself that gets scared with anything beyond Calc 1.

I understand the connection: like I said, I'm a CS student double majoring in Math; I just don't think it's a good idea. Having CS with Math is better than no CS at all, but I think it would be too focused on theory and not enough on the practical aspects: the software engineering aspects. That might be fine for academia, but it'll be bad for any graduates who want to go into the industry. To design a building, do you hire a civil engineer or a physicist? To design software, do you hire a software engineer or a theoretical computer scientist?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: