Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Update from Clay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Big Update from Clay Reply with quote

I've been up to my neck with work. Between everything in South Louisiana needing to be rebuilt and oil $70 a barrell, we get hit in the face with new jobs every time we step out the front door. We're averaging a new contract a day.

I'll start with what I think is the most important thing:

Went to the Spike Lee film last night and I was pretty impressed. It isn't divisive, like I feared it might be. There was very little time spent on the "blowing up the levees" conspiracy stuff. Lee did the best thing he could possibly do (shut up and let the locals tell the story). The cinematography is incredible. While Lakeview was a little under-represented, there was plenty of coverage for St. Bernard, the MS Gulf Coast, etc. Overall, I was very, very impressed. Dare I even say it, but the film reminds me of "To Kill A Mockingbird." It's that moving. The most surprising thing is you'll laugh your ass off. There are parts that are absolutely hilarious. Funnier than Taledega Nights.

I watched it at the Arena last night with about 10,000 New Orleanians and guess who was one of the "crowd favorites?" Mechanical Engineering's own Calvin Mackie. Guys and gals, he really made us proud. Given all the crooked politics going on with CrookedCowenCronies, Inc., this was something that really made me proud of Tulane.

See the film. It's worth it. My only critisms are minor. The second half was a little rushed (the audio didn't sync with the video at times) and they started WAY too late. They didn't start until around 8 and it's a 4 hour movie. It was worth all 4 hours, though.

Oh yeah, one other thing: I went to the bathroom and when I came back, someone jacked my backpack. I go to a movie about Katrina and I get looted! Ah, New Orleans is getting back to normal.

There are a few things going on with the AAUP, but I'll mostly leave it to the Chronicle to report.

I know it may not look like it, but this city is coming back! It really, truly is coming back! It's not going to be a city of half a million anytime soon, but the things that make New Orleans New Orleans are still here. Think of it this way, take a pot of Gumbo that get's boiled down almost all the way (the dark times in September). Slowly, you stir and add water. Eventually, you can bring that Gumbo back and it will have almost all its old flavor.

http://rapidshare.de/files/29810506/FTFR_ME_Ruling.pdf.html

I hate to say this, but I know that at least some of the Board members didn't react like I hoped to FTFR's report on ME. It's annoyed them. And not in a good way. If you write them about the report, please emphasize the positive aspects of the report. It's hard to say whether or not I'm getting a representative sample of the vibe.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: