Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opportunistic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoEven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: opportunistic? Reply with quote

This whole retrenchment plan sounds very opportunistic to me. I as a student may not be privy to the details, but they haven't made much of a case to quantify their claims of financial exigency. This key point is the ONLY reason they have the power to remove a department and tenured faculty. AAUP states very clearly that this is a last ditch effort. Knowing Tulane, there are lots of frills that can be cut in the interim until finances stabilize. Has any terminated faculty requested a hearing? I believe you're entitled to it, and they must justify their claims to you.

Personally, I feel that Cowen is using this opportunity to accelerate changes that he has been planning for some time, in an effort to model Tulane after higher ranked liberal arts colleges. Katrina is being used as an excuse to make drastic changes that would otherwise have been made slowly and could have been discussed and addressed in a timely matter. Cowen's agenda and priorities have never been disguised well, but we've always been able to keep him in check. I do not feel that he is justified in this decision.
Dr. H.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Opportunistic Reply with quote

Ah, Malcolm. How perceptive you are.

Dr. H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: