Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Math Problem: Tuition thought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Kensell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Math Problem: Tuition thought Reply with quote

I know raising tuition for everybody is not the ideal solution, but what if it was raised...
just hypothetically...
say we need to get back about $200 million...
And there are 8,000 undergrads
200 million divided by 8000 is $25,000
that's $25,000 to be repaid per student,
and say tuition is raised by $6,000 per year...
it would take only four years to get the money back...
But remember, 200 million is higher than the actual amount and I'm not including graduate students. Plus, the money could be regained in longer than 4 years with a smaller tuition raise. And the students paying the most would be Freshman and Sophomores intent on being at Tulane the longest, and we are exactly the people most affected by the Renewal plan.

I mean I know this would be on top of the already rising tuition prices, and I don't exactly have this money (i'm only able to be here on scholarship), but still... $200 million isn't quite as daunting when split up among so many... And you've got to wonder - is this worth keeping the SoE? I think it is...

And yes I know, this probably isn't entirely feasible, there's alot more to it than this...
wckirby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, it's not going to end up being $200 million. They DO have SOME insurance. We really don't know what's going on with the finances of Tulane. The university's finances are about as open and accessible as the CIA secret prisons.
ggreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not entirely true. Tulane at least admits of the existance of its finances. Razz
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: finances in chat Reply with quote

In the chat he said "The University will have lost about 180 Million in revenue this year, even with the tuition policy..."

and "Eventually all of our numbers will be public because we publish financial statements. Furthermore, I've already disclosed in several places what our projected losses are for this year as well as for the future and the fact that the Renewal Plan should address future losses."

So basically he says over and over again that we are too dumb to be able to process the real numbers ourselves, and that we should just blindly accept this decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: