Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STAND UP QUIT WORRYING ABOUT OTHER SCHOOLS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: STAND UP QUIT WORRYING ABOUT OTHER SCHOOLS Reply with quote

In many articles I have read from the President of Tulane, President Cowen occasionally refers to our "sister school" Emory in Atlanta. In a recent Times Picayune article he stated that many private universities like Emory do not have an engineering program. Thats great! I dont care about Emory. I care about Tulane. I specifically remember not applying to Emory because they didnt have engineering.

President Cowen, Please stop comparing us to other universities. Please do not attempt to model Tulane after a liberal arts college that has only a slightly higher ranking than Tulane, and please stop telling us about your "all star" blue ribbon team. This team was made up of people from universities that are competing with you for students and grant money. STAND UP AND MAKE TULANE PROUD. Do not throw away our time honored traditions.

William Walker
New Orleans Resident
MECH E Class of 2007
jmikowski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also something interesting to note. One of the key reasons Emory does not have an engineering program (or not a large one), GA TECH. Harvard = MIT. Many large universities don't have stellar programs because there are schools near by that bring engineers to that area already. If Tulane steps down from this task, who will recruit for New Orleans? UNO could, but they are not the same or even on par. This is not to bash UNO, as my brother has attended there and I have great respect for that school. But as an out of state student he paid almost the amount I pay at Tulane...and did not have the same opportunities I have been offered.
jlefante

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with all this Tulane business, of course. I want to keep going to Tulane for my degree.. but... by the circumstances by which I think Tulane Engineering could thrive right now--the rebuilding of an entire city--I wouldn't be surprised if Tulane closes it's program and UNO's Engineering school becomes very very competitive with other bigger name schools... there are so many projects and grants that *should* be happening in New Orleans(that is, if companies like Tulane will stop thinking small and take a chance at actually restoring the city instead of waiting for it to grow back on its own). And besides, UNO is already getting federal help to help balance it's budget. Bush and Clinton were there last week.. I know that's partly because it's a state school, but Cowen keeps boasting that he isn't getting ANY outside help. Yup, that plan's working great.. "taking control of our own destiny"
ET

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmikowski wrote:
Also something interesting to note. One of the key reasons Emory does not have an engineering program (or not a large one), GA TECH. Harvard = MIT.

Harvard DOES have an engineering program ( I am getting my PhD in engineering sciences there now), as do other Ivy League schools - Cornell, Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Columbia, & Penn

If Cowen's goal is to model Tulane after other private institutions with higher ratings, then it would make sense to keep engineering!
jmikowski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a bad example. My mistake.
aRadler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Princeton took in many Katrina students and I almost went there, they have a great graduate engineering program, and a lesser known, though good undergraduate program. Smile [/quote]
lob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Harvard Engineering Reply with quote

The late Lee H. Johnson, emeritus Dean of Engineering at Tulane, was a Harvard engineering graduate. He served as Dean at Tulane for 22 years, and continued teaching long after retiring as Dean. I had the pleasure of taking his class as a freshman in 1978, and we had him back in 1982 to address the class at commencement.

The Lee H. Johnson Award for Teaching Excellence is (or was) given annually by the School. Dean Johnson died in 2002. We should all be grateful that he did not live to see this.

Last edited by lob on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
MVDoran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Dean Lee Johnson Reply with quote

I also had the honor of being in the calculus class taught by Dean Johnson in 1978. He was world class! His work and the work of countless other world class faculty over the years made OUR school of engineering a world class environment.
I also remember the words of Dean Johnson when he came back to speak at graduation in May of 1982. He told us to be problem solvers. He told us to create and use technology but never become servants to technology and forget how to think. In his last lecture that day he challenged us to make a difference by being the best problem solvers possible and to keep learning. As he put his cap back on he said "Class dismissed" to a standing ovation. That speech summed up the education we had received and reminded us of our mission in our career. Use that education to make ourselves and the world a better place and we could do it with the problem solving skills we had developed.
That is why we fight to keep engineering. That is what we see discussed in this forum, possible solutions and approaches to save the program. We think outside the box and we find solutions. The current students just as generations of Tulane engineers for over 100 years have been problem solvers for NOLA and the nation. The talent of the students is without doubt and as I mentioned in another post I would gladly welcome any to join my CS program. But I think Dean Johnson would say today, "Class is back in session, we have one more problem to address".

Roll Wave
Non Sibi Sed Suis
Home of the Wave

Mike Doran CS - BS'82, ME'84, PhD'89
kgalloway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, Princeton took in many Katrina students and I almost went there, they have a great graduate engineering program, and a lesser known, though good undergraduate program.

I did go to Princeton this semester. I took a class on river control (which is, of course, entirely relavent to our situation) and it was phenomenal. How about some of that for Tulane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: