Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you help me rationalize the decision?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wclarkson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Can you help me rationalize the decision? Reply with quote

This is my thought process on Tulane' arguments for eliminating the programs they did.

So, most of the faculty won't be off of the payroll until 18 months from now. They still have to pay them for that period, unless they leave the university. If they leave the university, then students suffer. That is not an option for the 'world-class' institution we want to attend. I would hope the board has realized this.

After 18 months, the insurance money from the damages should be settled, tuition will be coming in on a regular basis and the money recently appropriated to the colleges will be delivered. Financial exigency should be lifted by then, or it will be soon afterwards. So, after 18 months the school is in the exact same position they would be if they were keeping the engineering school. But actually worse, because the number of students would be less, so they are getting less 'bang for their buck' from the remaining faculty.

How does this benefit the school financially? The short answer is, it doesn’t. The long answer is, maybe. It may help in 10 years. But that remains to be proven by the administration. Finances must not be the issue. If they truly are then they have 18 months to get donations up and restructure so that they save money. That doesn't seem impossible considering what the city has been through and the help they could have from the student body and the government. I'm sure most alumni, as we have seen, support Tulane 100%.

The only thing left is the 'strategic' part of Cowen's rationalization. How does destroying the engineering school benefit Tulane as a whole? If Cowen truly wants a well-rounded institution, he will help save engineering. If he wants a top tier liberal arts school, he will still keep the engineering school.

You need diversity for a top tier institution. That is a fact. An example: What if Joe and Jane start out at Tulane as Psychology majors, but they see the presence that the Tulane Engineering School has? The DARPA Grand Challenge team, the Bio-meds helping save lives through advanced prosthetics, the Electrical Engineers developing new signals and switches and circuits for various devices, Civil Engineers developing new ways to secure New Orleans from water, and Mechanical Engineers helping to conserve power. They might consider it. Or, they might not. Either way, Tulane wins. Its name gets out there for the achievements its engineering school makes and the remaining student body benefits from the diversity of education on campus. That helps the school.

So, strategic is the only argument that actually holds water. But, I ask you this. Have you ever heard of Mount Union College? The answer is probably not. Do you know why? Neither do I, but they don’t’ have an engineering school, so maybe that’s it.
ckp24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: PDF File Reply with quote

Just checked my webmail and saw a news release with a link to the latest Renewal plan document. Perhaps it holds some of the keys to their rationalizations? I don't know..don't have time to read it at the moment. It's 29 pages.

http://renewal.tulane.edu/renewalplan.pdf

Happy Holidays to everyone.
Dr. Ash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: PDF File Reply with quote

ckp24 wrote:
Just checked my webmail and saw a news release with a link to the latest Renewal plan document. Perhaps it holds some of the keys to their rationalizations?

Nope.

Unless you call the spin that permeated the 2 online chats "keys", there's nothing new there. Charts and graphs, so that non-engineers can figure it out.

Yes, I'm bitter...
wckirby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Quote from "Renewal" Plan Reply with quote

"The School of Architecture’s expertise is urgently needed in rebuilding New Orleans and setting examples for urban planning worldwide."

This is insulting. This is a cruel joke

Clay Kirby
11th generation New Orleanian
4th generation Tulanian
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: