Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABET Accredidation Standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: ABET Accredidation Standards Reply with quote

http://www.abet.org/Linked%20Documents-UPDATE/Criteria%20and%20PP/E001%2006-07%20EAC%20Criteria%2012-19-05.pdf

I've looked through these standards and I find it hard to believe that BME and ChemE will maintain their accredidation without help from other programs. Especially BME. Read through the BME-specific guidelines to see what I mean.

At the absolute least, it's going to me more difficult and expensive than they aticipated to keep BME and ChemE. At the worst, they're condemming the whole engineering school to death.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: BME Reply with quote

I dont know much about the ChemE dept, but I am a BME student, and I know that this has crossed my mind several times. Not necessarily the accrediting, but the basic quality of the degree we will receive without the usual interdisciplinary studies. The BME curriculum includes classes such as Circuits (EE), Statics (ME), and C++ (CS). I contacted our department head, Dr. Hart, a few days after the announcements to see what his take was on all of this.

He said:

"We have not yet met to discuss curriculum challenges (ENGR, CS
courses). We may need to modify the curriculum, although BMEN
faculty regularly teach all of these (Statics, Circuits, Mechanics of
Materials, Materials Science and Engineering, Fluid Mechanics) except
for the C++ course."

So it seems the only REAL challenge for BME curriculum is C++

Either way, it sounded like the administration did straight chopping off of the arms without realizing the damage it would do to the rest of the body....
wckirby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the BME guys have some good Fluid Mechanics people, but Heat Transfer has alway's been Dr. Watts' specialty. He's been there forever and he's well published. I loved his "Physics of a Knuckleball" article.

Unfortunately, he's in the ME department and is due to be axed. It will be a real loss to the whole engineering school when he goes.
ET097

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget future ChemE and BME majors will also have to complete the new 'Undergraduate College Core Curriculum'. With the new requirments (including 8 hours of foregin lanugage and 2-3 hours of community service) are they going to just make those majors require even more credits to graduate? I dont see how they can really replace existing courses and keep accrediation.
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Undergraduate college Reply with quote

I have not seen the new requirements for the Undergraduate college, but it would be almost impossible for Engr. majors to add that and still have time to breathe. It would pretty much ruin any choice of your HUSSELS. I thought they said the graduation requirements would be set by the individual school though, which would mean they could waive language requirements and such- but that was just the gist I got- hard to tell with all this jibber-jabber they throw in everywhere to try to make themselves sound like they're making everyones lives so much better.
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're requiring engineers to take a language???

I think being bilingual is a great thing, but engineers have too much on their plate as it is. BioMed and ChemE should be 5 year degrees already. Now they want to tack on extra hours? Wow, this is further proof that they're trying to kill the whole school.
ET097

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if you read this tulane renewal plan document on page three it lists the new requirments for everyone (inlcuding engineers)

http://renewal.tulane.edu/renewalplan.pdf
acigan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: School of S&E and the UC curricula Reply with quote

Here is an email reply from the dean of the UC:

Quote:
"However, I hope you are reassured when I tell
you that your concerns about currilar matters will not
materialize. When you become a member of the Undergraduate College,
you are still in the "General Studies Program" and thus you will
continue with the same academic plan you had upon entering
Tulane. You would NOT be subject to the core curriculum of the
Undergraduate College. You are correct in assuming that you would not
become a part of the School of Science and Engineering until you
declare a major.
Sincerely,
Rick Marksbury"

Also, the BMEN chair said:
Quote:
"I can say, however, that [the BMEN] curriculum already includes service and capstone experiences (team design), and the ENGR 101/102 has been part of the TIDES freshman program -- already required for engineers."

So basically, the UC college doesn't change anything for BME and ChemE majors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: