Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scott Cowen's Holiday message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TchernaviaJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Scott Cowen's Holiday message Reply with quote

So as I'm checking my webmail, I see an email with the above subject line and the following message:

Good Morning:

The link below will bring you to a special holiday card that looks forward
to the New Year and a new season of hope and renewal for Tulane University.
I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.tulane.edu/HolidayCard2005.html

Happy Holidays,

Scott

Now as I recieved this email via the Gulf Coast alumni network, I'm sure not everyone on the board has seen this pile of crap.. I've always known that Cowen has been a PR whore but this little montage seriously made me sick. Don't position yourself and/or Tulane as a force in the rebuilding of New Orleans when you've shown complete disregard to those that are capable of leading the effort. Don't show me clips of what Tulane and the city of New orleans was some 100 years ago, when you are destroying the legacy that Tulane was built to leave and has left in this city.. And I'm sure he and his PR flack are patting themselves on the back for their little "Do you know what it means to rebuild New Orleans" catch phrase, but obviously its just that, a phrase, as they have ABSOLUTELY no idea what it means....
ET097

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I made the decision to not look at Cowens little card, because I knew it would only make me upset. Well that lasted for all of about an hour before my curiousity overrulled common sense. All it did was rub more salt into the wound he already created by killing engineering.

TchernaviaJ wrote:
I've always known that Cowen has been a PR whore but this little montage seriously made me sick.

I can't think of a better way to describe how I felt watching this card other than it made me sick.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disgusting. A total slap in the face to those who lost everything.
lob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Orange tassels? Reply with quote

As I recall, Tulane engineers wear orange tassels at graduation.

In Tulane's "holiday message", a cluster of graduates wear orange tassels on their mortarboards

They're engineers.

Scott Cowen is right. To rebuild New Orleans, we need to focus on our priorities. Let's start with art direction in public relations. No competent art director would have let a photograph of engineers go out in that piece just as the administration plans to dismantle the school.

If it was an intentional nod at history, it comes across as an insult. I more strongly suspect it was a dumb oversight from the same folks who purport to "know what it means to rebuild New Orleans" without engineers.

The engineers will come from somewhere, just not Tulane. Future Tulane graduates can find other ways to help out. Let's just hope they're not producing the press releases.
kgalloway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Times Picayune editorial Reply with quote

The Times-Picayune published my editorial on the subject!
http://www.nola.com/archives/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1135407551116580.xml&coll=1
I also emailed them the picture of the orange tassels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: