Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Times Picayune

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Comments on news
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmikowski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Times Picayune Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

In an effort to have our concerns and collective voices heard, we have sent an e-mail to the Times Picayune notifying them of the existence of this site, the outpouring of support the Engineering School has been receiving aswell as the petition. I am very happy to note that the petition, which has been in existence for less then 24 hours, has had well over 700 signatures already. Thank you all for spreading the word and please continue to do so. With any luck perhaps we can gain the support of the local community, as they realize the growing need for engineers in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Once again keep up the enthusiasm and support!

Justin Mikowski

One Response to “Times Picayune”

1. wckirby Says:
December 10th, 2005 at 10:29 am e
We need to get the Times-Picayune on our side. Angus Lind is a real gung-ho Tulane guy. I believe their editor is a Tulane grad. Their whole staff is crawling with Tulanians.
jmikowski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Clarkson had a phone interview with a reporter from the Times Picayune earlier today. Be on the look out for any news articles related to Tulane and perhaps we will get some coverage. If so please let us know. Thanks.
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: PUBLISHED Letter to the Editor Reply with quote

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/letterstoeditor/index.ssf?/base/news-6/113428724576920.xml

That's the NOLA.com version.
bethmcardle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Comments on TP article - Dec. 13 Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts on the article today:
"Cowen said his decision to phase out civil, environmental, mechanical and electrical engineering, as well as computer engineering and computer science, was strategic because only 199 students will be affected."
Only 199 students will be affected. What about the stellar faculty? What about the thousands of alumni who give back to the university every year?

"They are very small departments," he said. "To be able to position them would require massive investments. To get them to the point where they could make a difference locally and nationally would require an investment when we can't make the investment."

Tulane engineering has already made a difference. Let's continue to do so. Sometimes you need a bed of technology to ground a liberal arts program. Just like it was beneficial to me, a technophile, to be grounded in the middle of a liberal arts campus.

"Besides, he said, some of the best such programs are in public universities, while many private colleges, including Emory University in Atlanta, don't have engineering classes at all. "
I have some thoughts on this as well. Atlanta has Georgia Tech, it doesn't make sense to duplicate such a program. But a city the size of New Orleans should not be left without a good engineering school. Sometimes bigger is not better. There is something to be said about the "family-style" program offered by the School of Engineering. I do not believe I would have made it through an engineering program in a huge department. I have attended classes at such a school for graduate work, and there is nothing stimulating about it. We learned so much material in my computer engineering program (way back in the early 80s), that by the time I went to graduate school, I already had the foundational theory under my belt. Tulane CS was ahead of its time, and probably still is today.
jmikowski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Times Pic today (12/13/05). I heard we are mentioned in the front page article.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1134457156226780.xml
kgalloway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To be able to position them would require massive investments. To get them to the point where they could make a difference locally and nationally would require an investment when we can't make the investment."

If President Cowen is really committed to rebuilding New Orleans, he would make that investment. In that same article:

"If the levee question isn't resolved satisfactorily and very quickly, nothing else makes any difference."

Must not be so important that he feels his school doesn't need Civil Engineering.
kgalloway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy of an email I just sent to John McQuaid. Mr. McQuaid is a writer for the Times-Picayune. He often writes on politics and engineering issues.

Dear Mr. McQuaid,
My name is Kyle Galloway. I am a freshman engineering student at Tulane University. A month ago I emailed you asking for information for a paper I am writing. Your help and your articles continue to prove extremely valuable to my research, and your extensive writings on engineering make you a local authority.
As I am sure you know, Tulane has chosen to eliminate all but two of its engineering programs. A significant movement supporting Tulane engineering is growing, and we are always looking for support wherever we can find it. I was hoping that you would use your influential voice to support our efforts.
I'm sure you agree that New Orleans needs engineers now more than ever. I believe that Tulane should lead the way in training them. I am one student who was excited to study civil engineering to learn how to protect our city. I hope you will lend your support to the movement to reinstate engineering at Tulane.
Thank you so much for your help.
-Kyle J. Galloway
kgalloway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the response I got from that email.

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for your message - good luck in your efforts. I am sure we will be
interested in writing about this, given the long tradition at Tulane and the
urgency of the city's current situation. I forwarded your message on to our
higher education writer.
Regards,
John
kgalloway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Times-Picayune published an editorial of mine.
http://www.nola.com/archives/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1135407551116580.xml&coll=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Comments on news All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: