Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scott Cowen Bio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Scott Cowen Bio Reply with quote

http://tulanegreenwave.collegesports.com/school-bio/tul-school-bio-pres.html

An official bio of Scott Cowen. I've got a lot of respect for the man, but there's something I need to point out: before July, 1998, Cowen had nothing to do with Tulane and had never lived in New Orleans.

He's been here for about 8 years. How much does he really know about Tulane and New Orleans?

For reference, I'm an 11th GENERATION New Orleanian. I'm a native. I grew up in the Quarter and Uptown. I'm a 4th generation Tulanian. I've got more family links to this university than you can shake a stick at.

To paraphrase what a professor told me, "who gave Cowen the crystal ball?" (his comments were a little more colorful)
GulfWave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: They Left Out the Fact That He Is A Luddite... Reply with quote

... when I was a young Naval Officer I frequently picked up copies of the Herald Tribune when I was over seas. Invariably, if it contained a storey about New Orleans, the tone was negative and the by-line was the Chicago Trubune's.
Increasingly Cowen's tone is becoming more condescending and paternalistic. He echos the same demeaning tone the Chicago Tribune has for many years. Us poor dumb white folk just don't understand the clever ways of an errudite Yankee from Cleveland. This man comes from the part of the country where Dennis Kucinich was reared and where they have successfully set their river on fire. This is not meant to be an indictment of all of Ohio. But to point out the vast differences in cultural perspective that make it impossible for Cowen to successfully lead Tulane through this demanding period.
He does not see much worth saving, he sees many things to change that fit his Ohio centered world view. Ahhhh, if we were only more like Case Western and New Orleans had a University Circle. He sees himself as the savior of the New Orleans School system and the light that leads Xavier in to the modern world. His arrogance and pomposity are reminiscent of the out of state developers Edwin Edwards fleeced in the building of the World's Fair facilities.
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what are you guys waiting for? let's call for his head on a silver platter? if all this anti-Cowen talk is around YET AGAIN (remember the Div. 1 sports fiasco a few years ago), he doesn't deserve to be around.

he personally pissed me off to no end during my years at Tulane b/c of anti-Greek Life attitudes. (wait, you have to register with Tulane if you live in a fraternity house and want to have 5 friends over? I had 3 meetings with Dan 'Cowen's henchmen' Nadler over this...talk about waste of money!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: