Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bring New Orleans Back Committee-Tulane Engr is Essential

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCzar35

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Bring New Orleans Back Committee-Tulane Engr is Essential Reply with quote

Below is a letter I wrote to the Bring New Orleans Back Committe:

I suggest more of you guys write to them, oh Cowen is on that committee too but so is Dan Packer of Entergy,
their site is www.bringneworleansback.org

To: Bring Back NO Leaders and staff,
We Tulane engineering alumni need your help and we also feel Tulane has been and can continue helping New Orleans in the future (Post-Katrina). Scott Cowen is shutting down a significant portion of the engineering departments, mainly Electrical (EE), Computer, Civil (CE) and Mechanical (ME) Engineering along with associated programs instead of offering expertise from these departments to assist in the recovery. Please visit the www.savetulaneengineering.org web site and read some of the Blogs on the Forum. I feel that Cowen had a liberal educational agenda and used Katrina for this move. Now is not the time to cut engineering and technology programs in New Orleans when Tulane can use them to help rebuild our city. The NOLA area has become a giant engineering problem and it must be solved by the best. While UNO can help too, many outsiders will have to be used to help with the long term solutions. Tulane can play a major role as part of the local community in solving problems familiar only to local people. The problem goes beyond the classic Civil Engineering levee issues, to all phase of engineering technology. These disciplines can help us develop a world class, high tech hurricane protection and drainage system (e.g. Pumps=ME, Pump automation and telemetry=EE & Computer Engr and levees and canals=CE). Tulane has historically contributed to New Orleans and the country in the area of engineering, from A. Baldwin Wood, who developed the screw pump design still used in New Orleans and around the world to David Filo, co-founder of Yahoo. Scott Cowen says he wants to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with the city and state in this recovery effort, but you can't do this with just lawyers and social workers. UNO's engineering programs are mostly at the undergraduate level, but Tulane has strong graduate studies and has been in the fore front of R&D for years and has contributed many top notch people to industry both locally (Boh Bros., Nelson, etc.) and nationally. Please help us to keep Tulane Engineering as real engine of recovery for New Orleans. You do not have to be a Tulane Alumnus to see the value that Tulane Engineering has been to area. I would hope the Bring Back New Orleans Team will contact Scott Cowen show him the error of his way and how he is impeding the recovery of this great city. Mr. Cowen’s “Ivy League” vision of Tulane will ultimately hurt New Orleans and also weaken our higher educational infrastructure and make us less attractive to families wishing to see their child study here from grammar and high school through college.

Yours Truly,
aka The Czar35, Tulane BSEE 1976, MSME 1981
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: