Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Engineering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> "World-Class Excellence"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmikowski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Computer Engineering Reply with quote

All accomplishments in Computer Engineering go here. Please keep it objective information we can use. Opinions won't win an argument.
ggreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Filo founded Yahoo!
Dr. H.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: World Class Reply with quote

Mary Claire Peterson, NSF Fellowship, 2003

Mark Wheeler, NSF Fellowship, 1989
cleeland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooting my own horn (which I loathe--feel free to edit if staff feels necessary):

Chris Cleeland CSE '90:

- http://www.milodesigns.com/~chris/papers/index.html lists a few things I've co-authored;
- Invited reviewer on W. Richard Stevens' "UNIX Network Programming, 2nd Ed", volumes 1 & 2;
- Invited reviewer on "The Practice of Programming" by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike;
- Invited reviewer for Scott Meyers' "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++";
- Member of OMG's Computer Security Interoperability version 2 Finalization Task Force;
- Former Research Associate in Distributed Object Computing group at Washington University, St. Louis.
- Original author/architect of core for The ACE ORB http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html, an open-source CORBA ORB used extensively throughout the world in defense, manufacturing, communications and other sectors
- Co-author for professional education course on "Design Patterns"

Very little of this would have been possible without the excellent foundation laid by teachers I had in the EE and CS Departments (they were separate at the time), including some of those classes that, at the time, I really wished that I didn't have to take Smile

One of the things that made my experience "world class" was the opportunity, as an undergrad, to be involved in an NSF-funded research project. That opportunity introduced me to applied research, which has allowed me to continue to work on cutting-edge applied technologies such as Real-time CORBA and networking, etc.

My time as a Research Associate at Washington University allowed me to understand how much of a gem Tulane's EECS department was when I was there. Although wustl involves undergrads, they are not typically the focus of research projects, and research projects which have opportunities for undergrads are few.
karlotta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Novell's website:
http://www.novell.com/company/bios/des.html

Distinguished Engineer

Tammy Green - Awarded 2005
In 1995, Tammy joined Novell to specialize in network security research and development. During her career, she has worked extensively in the areas of authentication, access control, PKI, and licensing. Currently, Tammy provides security guidance, expertise and training to product teams throughout the company. In addition, as a member of the Security Review Board, she analyzes products for security vulnerabilities. Tammy holds a Master's Degree in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University, and graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering from Tulane University
Dr. Ash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Bill Buckles, the Yahoo! founders chair in Computer Engineering, is leaving for Mexico in January for a Fulbright Fellowship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> "World-Class Excellence" All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: