Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Times Picayune Article from Wednesday's Paper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Times Picayune Article from Wednesday's Paper Reply with quote

I was originally going to post this somewhere else, but because of some of the issues I raised, I think I should tread carefully.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1134457416226780.xml

Hmmm... Cowen is biting off more than he can chew here. Cowen's plan is to take Orleans Parish School Board and make everyone on there an appointed official.

I actually happen to like the idea. Orleans Parish Public School Board is in the running for "most corrupt government body on earth."

Here's what Cowen doesn't get, though. He's just thrown a rock into a hornet's nest. Certain elements of the African-American community are going to go after him. I've been to School Board meetings and they're a zoo. The Board isn't going to be too pleased with it, either. Their modus operandi to responding to critisism is to call their accuser a racist and personally attack the person with outrageous accusations. They are going to play the race card like you wouldn't believe. Just wait and see.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are they paying him!!! He should worry about the welfare of his own students first. Cowen is from the Northeast. The impression I get is that racism is a taboo subject up there and is dicussed as least as possible. Cowen better watch out because down here in the city I have grown up in, people call you on it and your career is shot to hell. Take for example, the last school board Superintendant, Tony Amato. He made some extreme changes but the african american community did not agree with some of the things he did. So what happened? He was eventually called a racist and resigned shortly after leaving the school board in shambles. The new proposed plan is a good one; but President Cowen is treading on thin ice and again making decisions and plans without the imput of the community.
GulfWave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Sounds Good at First Glance, but.. Reply with quote

This is more or less how the Levi Boards have been populated and corruption has been alive and well there for more than a hundred years.
If corrupt officials appoint their minions nothing changes. Consider your current Governor and Lt. Governor.
New Orleans voting patterns will now shift radically from previous elections. The population is likely more educated and more affluent. The Wards where there was rampant vote hauling and other shananigans are vacant.
I trust the wisdom of the people and the Market much more than any Oligarch.
Fink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In as bad a state as NO public schools were, now would be a great time to wipe the slate clean and appoint some competent folks who can tell Momma D to shut up. But Cowen is not the man who needs to be in charge of this.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that it is a great plan, and the current board is horrible. However, whoever has the guts to introduce it had better be prepared for racial criticism and a possible tarnished reputation. Its has happened many times before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: