Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. H.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Possibilities Reply with quote

The dean forwarded the following and asked that it be shared.

Dr. H.

------------------------------Begin Message--------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:55 PM
To: altiero@tulane.edu
Subject: Shocking news

Nick,

We will, of course, take any of your CS students, and we should soon be able to say the same for EE. Of more immediate interest, we have the following faculty openings:

- The Truman and Anita Arnold Chair in CS (would also serve as the Dept.
Chair of CS)

- 3 Asst. Prof. positions in CS

- Soon we will have 4 Asst. Prof. positions in EE.

Any referrals would be appreciated.

Let me know if there is any way I can be of help.

As an aside, Texas A&M at College Station is in the middle of trying to hire
100 new engineering faculty. I'm almost certain they have not reached their goal. The Engineering Dean there is Kim Bennett (979-845-7203).

I wish you the best of luck with your new challenge.

Best,
Doug

Douglas M. Green, Ph.D., P.E.
Ross Perot Professor and Dean
Texas A&M University-Texarkana
P.O. Box 5518
Texarkana, TX 75505-5518
(Tel) 903-223-3181
(Fax) 903-223-3189
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may not be getting the full jist of this, but it seems as if it will prove very difficult for Tulane to retain faculty to teach us in the comming year. This is obviously great news for those students that want to move on but it doesn't look to good for those who wish to stay.
MVDoran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: future options Reply with quote

I agree that the battle is not over and we should fight to save Engineering. It is also wise to explore all options for the future. I was not going to go after Tulane students but since the dean has opened the door I will throw my announcement forward. I hope we win this fight to save engineering but especially as freshmen weight their options I'll share what I can offer in the area of a quality CS education.

The University of South Alabama in Mobile would also gladly accept all CS students. At USA the School of Computer and Information Science is a free standing academic unit and offers degrees in CS, Info Systems and Info Tech. We are the first university in the nation to have all 3 programs receive ABET accreditation. We also offer MS degrees in CS and IS. I am sorry at this time not to have any faculty openings. USA offers the same gulf coast environment 130 miles east of New Orleans in the city of Mobile that has much of the same flavor as the Big Easy - they even think their Mardi Gras is better (on a much smaller scale). The CS program offers much opportunity to undergrads to experience lots of hands-on research. Some of the main areas include: robotics, Real-time systems, game development, graphics and data mining.

I will continue to work and pray and do all I can to save Tulane Engineering. I would also be glad to help any CS major consider their future options.

Mike Doran
Professor and Coordinator of CS
University of South Alabama
School of CIS
mdoran@usouthal.edu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: