Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post related to New Orleans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Post related to New Orleans Reply with quote

This isn't really related to Tulane Engineering, but could someone please tell me why rebuilding a major US city has become a political football? Why are the Republicans and Democrats playing politics with New Orleans?

Why in the hell isn't there a unanimous call to rebuild the city bigger and better than before with the strongest protections engineers can devise? Why are the Feds being so damned stingy with everything?

Why do so few people on the national level understand what New Orleans contributes to the rest of the nation?

I'm a native New Orleanian and it just doesn't make sense to me.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: hard to say Reply with quote

I really hate to say it, but people in many other parts of our country have some very misrepresented views of New Orleans, Louisiana, and the south in general. When people used to hear that I was from New Orleans, or later on, that I was going to school in New Orleans, they have one of two reactions. The first one is "Oh I LOVE NEW ORLEANS!!! I've been there and it is amazing..." yada yada yada. The other is "Oh, its just a big party city, filled with booze, boobs, and crime." They don't necessarily say it like that, but thats the general idea you get from them. The point is, a lot of people have no idea what New Orleans contributes to the rest of the country, and that is very sad, because we contribute quite a bit. Maybe the Picayune needs to write an article called "What it would mean to not have New Orleans" and then maybe get it in the NYT or USA Today.
dekarguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Molly that most of the US has a misrepresented view of New Orleans. Most people I tell that I am going back to New Orleans respond with shock, heck, even one of my good friends that isn't coming back to Tulane is basing his not coming back on New Orleans being unstable and not having the services neccessary for people to be living there. (I don't know where he got this, I was back in November and everything seemed to be coming back)

If the media hadn't done such a great job reporting the problems and not the successes, it might not be such a hot political battlefield.
James A. Lancaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Today's T-P Reply with quote

"The bill includes $2.9 billion to rebuild the city's failed levees, but it omits $200 million Bush had requested to armor levees against storm surges and build new pumping stations along the city's lakefront. The extra funds were nixed by Congress, after House members argued that neither proposal had been properly evaluated."

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/news-22/1137004448148060.xml&storylist=louisiana
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: