Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cowen OC Meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaryC2007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Cowen OC Meeting Reply with quote

I'm part of the orientation staff so I'm back on campus right now. Today we had the wonderful pleasure of having a discussion with our beloved Scotty C. (sarcasm implied). I just thought I'd post a few of the more interesting comments from today's question and answer session. I'm posting no commentary, just what I heard.

On the timing of the renewal announcement, Cowen said that if they had made the announcement any sooner they would have jeopordized the faculty coming back.

On how much the univeristy would save from the reorganization, 55 million, direct quote.

On athletics, Cowen said he could've gotten rid of all of the sports programs and justified it by the hurricane, but he didn't becuase he wants the students to have an opportunity to go to the sports games. The sports programs will pay for themselves.

The UC completion has been moved to October 2006.

Graduation will be at the downtown arena with Ex-Presidents Bush and Clintion tentatively scheduled to be speakers.

Cowen thinks the academic ranking of the school will improve in time.

They're working with Newcomb to see that the name and the programs started by Newcomb will remain in tact.

Cowen mentioned possibly rebuilding some of the engineering components as the school gets in a better financial situation but it was just a brief mention with no real timelines.

The session ended with Cowen asking us to focus on the future. I scowled at him through the entire meeting which was probably why he never took my questions. He defered most engineering questions to the town hall meeting. He will be there. 10 am was the first opening in his schedule and he said he would be happy to move it to a later time if the date was moved later. That's about all I got besides some political stuff which was not really pertinent to this forum.

~MC
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: One small clarification Reply with quote

Did he mean the Basketball Arena or the Superdome for graduation? Unified Commencement has traditionally been at the Superdome. It was also my understanding the Arena took more damage that the Dome.

Just one little detail.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
MaryC2007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed he meant the Basketball Arena. I have no idea about the damages there.
ckp24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: New Orleans Arena Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it has to be the New Orleans arena. The Hornets are going to be playing some home games there in the next few months, so I assume it's in better shape than the Dome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: