Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Town hall meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Town hall meeting Reply with quote

The town hall meeting today really pissed me off. Cowen was very condescending. He was also quite rude to a certain alumnus. Lefton's correction that it was only THOSE AREAS of engineering they no longer wish to be involved in struck me as almost comical. And as much as I love Tulane, it is not the single most important thing for the recovery of New Orleans. Flood protection systems are, hands down (though Tulane can certainly help with that, if they don't cut engineering).

And to top it all off, Cowen thinks in a few years, what we majored in won't be important, only that we went to Tulane will be. It might work that way for some liberal arts majors (no offense intended to liberal arts majors), but if you get a degree in mechanical engineering, it's a pretty sure bet you're going to do something related to it.
wckirby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the notion that the meeting was insulting and degrading.

Cowen shot himself in the foot with that meeting. I think that's why he wants another one.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: amusing Reply with quote

He tried to act like we were 5. Saying things about how we don't understand anything, and he doesn't expect us to. Us dumb engineers only know how wave signs around, we cant read or write or anything. Apparently nobody told him that we have brains.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are Tulane's best and brightest. Cowen even said it. However, he failed to realize that being the best and brightest means that we can see straight through financial BS. When he was lecturing us today on operating costs I was completely following him, and I can still say that I could prove him wrong had I been given the chance to fully speak. i would be willing to have another meeting when he puts TULANE FIRST, and decides to leave the BS at home. Of course his New Orleans Commision is more important than the job he was hired to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: