Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter from Senator David Vitter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCzar35

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Letter from Senator David Vitter Reply with quote

Guys,
Below is a letter from Sen. Vitter. As you can see he is symphatic to our cause, but could still be buying some of Cowens BS salad. He does point out that Tulane like other affected schools will be getting money from the goverment to help "lessen the need" for such cuts. Again Cowen financial aurgument is weakened. I will send another letter to Sen. Vitter to explain that there was next to no damage to the engineering school buildings.

aka TheCzar35
Sen. Vitter's email is: Senator_Vitter@vitter.senate.gov
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Czar,
Thank you for contacting me in opposition to Tulane University 's actions to cut programs in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As an alumnus of Tulane University, I share your concern about the impact of the hurricane on this fine school. Unfortunately, Tulane University has announced that is has to lay off some of its faculty members, cut some of its sports programs, and eliminate some undergraduate majors - including computer science and electrical engineering - because of the damages the university sustained from Hurricane Katrina.

Rest assured that I am fighting to ensure the affected institutions of higher education receive federal assistance for losses incurred by Hurricane Katrina to help lessen the need for actions like this. You may be glad to know that Congress has passed and the president has signed into law legislation providing $95 million to the institutions of higher education in Louisiana affected by the hurricane. Tulane is eligible for these funds, which can be used for student financial aid, operating expenses, and faculty salaries. In addition, the legislation provides $10 million for the Secretary of Education to help defray expenses incurred by the affected institutions.

Please rest assured I will continue to work to secure the resources Louisiana's institutions of higher education need to recover fully from the hurricanes. Once again thank you for contacting me with your concerns about Tulane. Please feel free to contact me in the future on other issues important to you.

Sincerely,

Senator David Vitter
United States Senator

Last edited by TheCzar35 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
angryengineer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that is just a form letter, I recieved the same one. Hopefully it means that the Senator has at least heard about our situation, but short of a face to face talk with him I doubt he's taken much of an interest in the overall situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: