Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House Busters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Future Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: House Busters Reply with quote

We need to be involved in helping out in New Orleans. Despite the fact that Cowen has said Tulane students will be active in community service, here's the only concrete thing that's set up right now and it was set up by an engineering student. I recommend we all pitch in. It will also be a great way to make contacts with Lockheed Martin.

We need to keep pounding on the difference between us and the other type of Tulane student who's only intereaction with New Orleans is at the bars. I'm not saying that I don't go to the bars and I'm not saying that all non-engineers are bad, but there are a lot of students at Tulane that live in a bubble and don't get involved in New Orleans outside the nightlife. Right now, New Orleans needs young people who get involved and make a difference, just like Wynton Marsailis said. We don't need students who only care about celebrity dating patterns and whose only goal in life is to get rich.

Attention All Engineers,
Are you looking for a way to help in the community? The Lockheed
Martin "House Busters" team may be for you. The House Busters are a
volunteer group from the Michoud Assembly Facility who are cleaning
out Katrina damaged homes. Volunteers will help to remove damaged
appliances, floors and walls from homes so the owners can start
rebuilding. They have houses scheduled for every weekend from now
through June. This will be a great opportunity to help people get
back on their feet and make some contacts with Lockheed Martin
employees. Anyone who is interested, please contact Brandon Carey at
bcarey@tulane.edu. I should have more information soon.
Brandon Carey
Vice President
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Tulane Student Section
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
bcarey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more people we get for this, especially engineers, the better. I should be hearing back from Lockheed Martin this week and getting an orientation meeting set up with them within the next week. If you are interested, please, please, please email me at bcarey@tulane.edu.
wckirby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Wednesday, February 15, 2006, Mr. Gordon Dyer, director of “House Busters,” from the Lockheed Martin Michoud Assembly Facility will explain how his volunteer group is helping to BRING BACK NEW ORLEANS by gutting flood damaged homes. If you want to be a part of this opportunity, come join us, meet Mr. Dyer, and find out how you can get involved! The meeting is hosted by the ASME student section and will be at 5pm in Boggs 122. FREE PIZZA!
wckirby

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went today... gutting houses can actually be pretty fun. Destroying things can be pretty fun. I used the skeleton key (sledgehammer) to get into a car.

The best part was destroying a tile wall. I got a sledgehammer and pretended the wall was Cowen's face. I was going at it so hard, everyone stopped and stared at me. Someone said, 'wow, somebody must have really pissed you off.'

Yup.

I think we'll be doing it every Wednesday and Thursday. All you have to do is show up and Lockheed is providing transportation and equipment. Just wear boots and clothes that can get filthy.

Thank Brandon for setting it up.
bcarey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesdays and Saturdays, early morning to mid afternoon. Email me at bcarey@tulane.edu when you can go so I can arrange transportation, Lockheed will come pick us up but can only take 14 of us in the van.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Future Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: