Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Status?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremyshaffer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Status? Reply with quote

As an alumni who had a great experience in the Tulane Engineering School I was hoping that this decision would be overturned quickly. I was wondering what the current state of things are. Is there much of a chance to get this undone? What's the strategy? Most of us are remote to N.O. and not into the day-to-day activities of campus it would be nice to have an organized list/call to action for us to do. Right now I think most of us are in hope mode but have no idea what specific action can be taken. The more specific the list the easier it would be to get people to do it.... i.e.

1) Call X person(s) at Y number and to tell them your displeasure
2) Write/Email X person(s) being sure to highlight these themese
etc. etc.
perturbed1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The status according to our esteemed leader Dr. Scott Cowen is this:

"The decision, with respect to the engineering programs being phased out, was both strategic and a financial. It is not a question of how much money, at this stage, would save the school. In fact, we have already notified students applying for next year that the school will be changed and therefore the decision has been implemented and is final. "

Scott says it is a done deal, over finished, kaput, non-negotiable, final. What part of that is unclear. When Scott says jump the BOT sayd how high.

You want a to do list write the board and ask them when they are going to get spine implants. And while you are at it tell them not to bother sending appeals for donations until they do. We could save a little money by simply not renting the room for the board meetings since the are a bunch of gutless do nothing wimps.

OK maybe we should not rub it in. Better course might be to just suggest they pony up out of their own pockets whatever shortfall in fund raising there is over the next decade as a result of their faluire to exercise any oversight over Jabba the Hutt.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Board still has to meet so no matter what Cowen says, the board has to vote and possibly change some university bylaws before the decision can be finalized.
phmccain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Status Reply with quote

If the board was to keep engineering intact there might not be any freshmen students next year.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a small price to pay for keeping a legacy intact. The board may not keep the school, but there is hope among some faculty I talked to that would like to see the board keep the cut departments in the new school of science and ENGR
engineering mom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jeremy Shaffer. An organized effort to impact the Board's decision prior to their next meeting must be implemented. Letters, e-mails, phone calls, etc. should be sent questioning whether this decision, in light of additional information, goals not being achieved, adverse impact on the University and so on, should be reversed or modified. In addtion, the date, place, and time of the Board meeting should be publicized and as many supporters of Save Tulane Engineering (and Newcomb) should be encouraged to attend and speak. This may truly be an opportunity to impact the decision before it's too late.
perturbed1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This plan has been presented to the board on a take it or leave basis. Cowen has essentially said you cannot reject the plan without rejecting my leadership, the plan goes and I go. Add to that there is no entering engineering class for next year and it is pretty much a done deal.

I think that Tulane is facing the biggest crisis in its modern history and the nature of it is not a natural disaster but a revolution in university governance. The President of Harverd was just booted for trying to crush the faculty under his heel. Harvard's faculty may have needed a little crushing but Summers was nowhere near as lucky or as politically deft as Cowen. What is going on here is nothing short of a coup d'etat and Scott is willing to leave blood and treasure on the campus quad to wrest complete control over the institution. He will shred the BOT in a divisive vote if need be to get what he wants.

The point of all of this is you are wasting your time asking for engineering back if you are not going to call for Cowen's replacement at the same time. You cannot have one without the other anyway and going after Cowen openly allows you to build a broader coalition with other folks with grievances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: