Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's with the Hullabaloo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpiad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: What's with the Hullabaloo Reply with quote

Granted ... I graduated in the 70's when things political where big on campus ... but, what has happended to the Hullabaloo ... not a word mentioned about the TELF press conference ... in my day the school paper would have picked this issue up big time ... if for no other reason than to irritate the Administration .... and old Scotty boy needs some irritation!

I sent the Hullabaloo Editor a copy of the Times-Pic piece on the press conference ... shame on the school paper ... I guess they don't care what happens to Newcomb or the School of Engineering ...
jmikowski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In there defence, they covered the Imagine Rally earlier. Afterwards, the administration has threatened to censor the paper. There is something in the works where all articles will have to be preapproved by the Provost. We heard that this issue is being setup but not fully initiated as they don't want to cause more issues.

Sadly, there is a recent court case that allows Private Universities to censor thier own news papers.
smyers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Hullaballo Censorship? Reply with quote

Justin,

What case is that? I'm an attorney, and I've never heard of such a case. In fact, I recently did some research which suggested otherwise. I'd be happy to try to follow-up and advise the Hullaballo about what they are entitled to do.

It might be that Tulane isn't truly "private" because they accept all kinds of federal funding. It also might be that there's a difference between pre-printing censorship and post-printing reprecussions.

Anyway, it sounds like an empty threat to me, and I would be happy to help out. Let me know what I can do.

Stephen
wckirby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://chronicle.com/free/2006/02/2006022105n.htm

That's the court case.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
smyers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Recent case Reply with quote

Thanks Clay. I'll take a closer look at this tomorrow.

My initial impression is that this case wouldn't apply to Tulane's Hullaballo, stictly speaking. The case was not decided by the United States Fifth Circuit - the court that would review any case coming out of the state of Louisiana. Also, the Supreme Court's refusal to hear the appeal has no precedential value. It may be persuasive, but it definitely is not binding.

Ultimately, we might be in trouble if Tulane were in Illinois or Indiana, but there's still pleny of wiggle room in Louisiana. I'll give another update tomorrow when I have a closer look at the decision.
cenla alum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tulane has argued and won several times on the issue that they are in fact, a private entity. I'll find you the places to dig if you need.
smyers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Tulane's Status as a Private Entity Reply with quote

I'll be glad to look if you point me in the right direction.
cenla alum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent you a pm with the case
FuntKlakow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is cool!
wckirby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thehullabaloo.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/03/17/441baf4627a72

http://www.thehullabaloo.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/03/17/441b3c4927352

That's 2 articles.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: