Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Now??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: What Now?? Reply with quote

I would like to start this post to see where we go from here. Newcomb ladies seems to be on the right track by suing for an injunction. What are we going to do? I don't just wan't to sit and watch our School go to shit, but that seems to be what most students wan't to do. By nature the Tulane student body is very apathetic. I don't have the connections to form any kind of legal action, but I would like to talk with anyone that does. If we need student support for lawsuits how about we start contacting them. We all saw the lack of student turnout at the press conference. We have not been very organized and it will be the death of us if we don't start getting some serious support. We should not give up until the courts say tough shit. If you know professors outside of Engineering start lobbying them for a vote of no confidence. Perhaps we could organize those that agree into an unpublished list and then make it happen. I am thankful for what all active participants of this forum have done, but its time to stop playing nicely. No one wants to hurt Tulane, but in 20 years when Tulane is ranked in the 100's and my degree is worth jack shit I don't want to be asking the question "What else could I/we have done?"
wckirby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What Now?? Reply with quote

wwalkeri wrote:

No one wants to hurt Tulane, but in 20 years when Tulane is ranked in the 100's...

I think the stats on next year's class will be out soon and will prove what direction this university is headed (hint- it's down the toilet). Since you know who's all into Tulane as a business, here's an analogy for him: the stats for each applicant pool can be read like a share price. Tulane's stock price is about to take an Enron-like plunge.

I say, at this point, support the faculty in their efforts with the AAUP and support the Newcomb ladies. If some big engineering alumni wants to commit to doing something big, he knows where to find us, but at this point, I'd say we've done everything we can.

Remember, we still have Alteiro in there. I know a lot of people feel like he's a traitor, but he's no dummy. He knows the last two programs can't remain viable without the core programs. He's already come out and said the engineering part of the SoS&E will be expanded in '08. Most of what was cut will be brought back within 10 years, I'm willing to bet. It just sucks for the faculty.

I also wonder what they're doing with all that endowment money. From what I could tell, the eliminated programs had endowments/endowed chairs/etc. in the tens of millions. God only knows where that's going. The alumni should look into where their money is going like the Newcomb alumni are...

Personally, I say just continue to support the faculty in every way possible. Keep funneling things to the AAUP. They've got another letter out and I know about what it says. I'll see about posting a copy soon.

Oh yeah, and make good grades, go off, do well, and remind Cowen in 20 years what your major was.

(Cowen- if you ever read this, you're never going to live down that 'not remembering your major' quote. Sorry.)

Keep the faith.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
smyers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Legal Action Reply with quote

All,

I am a young attorney working in New Orleans that graduated from the School of Engineeing in 2002. I would be happy to help file an injunction against the Tulane Board, but someone would have to put me in the loop.

SOMEONE PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION! I would be happy to call the attorneys that recently filed suit for Newcomb and see if we can consolidate our cases. It sounds to me like the Newcomb suit and our potential suit would be very similar in substance, but I simply don't know enough of the facts.

I would be happy to offer my services for free. SOMEONE PLEASE CALL ME!

Stephen Myers
Irwin, Fritchie, Urquhart and Moore LLC
400 Poydras Street
Suite 2700
New Orleans, Louisiana
504-310-2114 - direct dial
504-310-2101 - fax
smyers@irwinllc.com - work
wckirby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: What Now?? Reply with quote

wckirby wrote:
Remember, we still have Alteiro in there.

I will remind everyone of Altiero's earlier comments in his letter to alumni, though:

"this was a strategic decision and that, in his view and that of the Board, these three engineering departments are too small relative to their counterparts to effectively compete for national prominence."

http://www.eng.tulane.edu/pdf/deanmessage_alumni.pdf

Hey, he was right. That is their view. It's B.S. but at least he isn't, as my dad would put it, "blowing smoke up our butt."

I've never quite understood that expression... Maybe someone can enlighten me.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: