Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New AAUP Letter and Lefton's replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wckirby

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: New AAUP Letter and Lefton's replacement Reply with quote

http://www.tulane.edu/~aaup/aaup5_10.doc

Here's a brief breakdown of the letter:
* The AAUP said that Tulane agreed to follow AAUP guidelines, but you aren't following them. You're just paying them lip service. They singled out Lefton for trying to circumvent the appeals process.
* The genesis of the letter was the review of the state of financial exigency. The letter doesn't really explain it, so here's the gist. The faculty want to see the facts for themselves and have a full review, including cross examination of Lorino (Tulane's CFO) and Yvette Jones. Lefton tried to say they were only going to have one meeting about the finances, no documents would be produced, and there would be absolutely no cross examination. Only Lefton would be allowed to question them from a prepared list of questions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lefton is a moron and we're lucky to be getting rid of him. Poor, poor Kent State.

There's some news on Lefton's replacement.

Cowen sent out a letter where he said there were three options for the new provost:

#1 Nation wide search
#2 Internal search for a replacement
#3 (and I'm not kidding about this one) Cowen. Cowen would be both Provost and President.

Cue the Soviet anthem...

Skvoz' grozy siyalo nam solntse svobody,
I Lenin veliky nam put' ozaril,
Nas vyrastil Stalin — na vernost' narodu,
Na trud i na podvigi nas vdokhnovil!

Through tempests the shadows of freedom have cheered us,
Along the new path where great Lenin did lead,
Be true to the people, thus Stalin has reared us,
Inspired us to labor and Valorus Deed.

Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
perturbed1

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for my money I vote for #3. Let the Dear Leader be both provost and president. He is not going to be with us long anyway and the next person should not be stuck with Cowen's pick for provost.
wckirby

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be completely honest with you, I'd take Cowen any day of the week over Lefton. Any of those options would be an upgrade over Lefton.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
ggreen

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a saying about the provost's job:

It is the job of the president to give speeches, and it is the job of the faculty to think. The job of the provost is to make sure that the president does not think and that the faculty do not give speeches.

We might as well make Cowen the provost, since he's doing half of that job already!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: