Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why are you all donating?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
engineer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: why are you all donating? Reply with quote

Why is everyone pledging money and giving into tulane's wishes? Do you not know the reason they dropped these specific programs is because of the number of people in these courses that are now millionaires?

The founder of yahoo and netscape both graduated from these majors along with countless others. This is just a cheap way for Tulane to get money from their alumni without calling it that.

Do not support Tulane and switch to other schools with comprable programs and graduate from a school with some dignity.
MVDoran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: PLEDGE!!!!!! Reply with quote

Why? Because Tulane is NOT Scott Cowen's toy. Tulane is MY school. Tulane is the school of 171 years of alumni. Tulane is a tradition of education. Tulane was a dream come true for me and countless others over the past 171 years. Tulane gave a kid like David Filo a chance to become wealthy. Tulane gave a kid like me a chance to become a computer scientist and now a college PROFESSOR! Tulane touches so many in a positive way that I WILL NOT ALLOW SCOTT COWEN TO DESTROY IT!!!!!
The alums have been here for the past 171 years and we will be here for the next 100+ years. We will be here long after Cowen is gone. I want to send my daughter to Tulane. My classmates and fellow alums want to send their children to Tulane.
Why save Tulane?
Have you played volleyball under the oaks on a Friday afternoon?
Have you eaten crawfish on the quad while listening to the Neville brothers?
Have you sat and talked to your advisor in ST Hall?
Have you been to a cocktail party for Engineering at the Alumni House?
Have you sat debugging your program all night in the lab?
Have you talked to alums 10 years older or younger and Johnasen called them "HACKER" in Chem lab also?
Have you every had the Dean teach you intro Calculus?
Have you every hung out in the Engineering lounge?
Have you had Dr Watts lecture about a curve ball in Physics?
Have you ever ended the national anthem "home of the WAVE!"?

Tulane is an attitude.
Tulane is a mindset.
Tulane is MY ALMA MATER!
Tulane is Tulane.
If you gotta ask you don't understand it.
Non Sibi Sed Suis.
Roll Wave.

Michael Doran CS - BS'82, ME'84, PhD'89
aRadler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is just a cheap way for Tulane to get money from their alumni without calling it that.

I have thought about this. If they are doing this only has a money making stunt and expected to keep the majors, there is too much risk of exposing such an idea and/or loosing the majors they wanted to keep.

on the other hand, it could be toss up, maybe they decided that if the public could raise the money to save the majors, then they would, and if not they wouldn't.

either way thats just some holky idea that floated through my head.
Scott Kensell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: the idea Reply with quote

ya, that idea crossed my mind for a second, but that was it... there's no way this is an easy way to get money. Tulane has already taken way too many actions to just sort of "pretend" dropping the engineering program in hopes of money. This is definitely motivated by money, but not in that way....

... and nice comment CS alum...

...it's because of comments like that that i know I want to be at Tulane and nowhere else...
DeltaS=0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Rebuiding New Orleans Reply with quote

So now let me see if I have this right. Engineering is being exterminated because the the costs involved with recruiting engineering students is too high. I would counter that the cost to the University is too high not to recruit engineers. Engineering students traditionally have the highest SAT scores among incoming freshmen, thus giving the University the ability to boast of their high overall SAT avg. Tulane is way of life and needs to be expanded, not cut back. The greatest integrated engineering challenge of our lifetimes is here, now! The rebuilding will require all the resources this nation has to offer and Tulane must be in that mix! I live in the NOLA area and have seen first hand the devastation. I have also heard an incredible will to not only rebuild, but to take the opportunity to improve NOLA for everyone.
Lets get this done!! Engineers do make a difference!

ROLL WAVE!

R. Kahl
E' 79

[/u]
GulfWave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Tulane NROTCU and Scholarships Reply with quote

I could not find current numbers on the web site, but working from memory, the Tulane Unit has ranged in size from 150 to over four hundred during Dr. Kelly's tenure. I will assume a modest 180 scholarship students now, ( maybe a current Midshipman could help me out here).
Of that number more than half are normally engineers. So, conservatively, their are 90 fully funded scholarships that Tulane expends minimum amounts of money recruiting. That does not even count our fellow AFROTC and Army ROTC Cadets.
If you have taken a thermo course you know you can radically alter your results be selecting the boundaries of your system. I have a believe Mr Cowen's drawn his boundaries to produce a highly contrived result.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Unit has about 110 Scholarship students, with about half of each incomming class in some sort of Tech major.
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *will* donate when the programs are re-instated. Not until, not ever again.
zlatar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would share my letter to Altiero and Cohen:

Fully realizing that my opinions are of little to no consequence, I decided to respond to your e-mail to satisfy my personal need to express my frustration and disappointment with this decision.

As a Mechanical Engineering Alumni with experience in both the Petrochemical and Telecommunications industries let me assure you that when I run across Tulane Engineering Majors, they most frequently distinguish themselves for their analytical, theoretical , and well balanced practical engineering knowledge. In many circles across both of these industries, Tulane engineering majors are highly regarded and valued. The engineers that I am referring to here are primarily Computer, Electrical, and Mechanical engineers. The statements referring to these departments being " too small relative to their counterparts to effectively compete for national prominence" is considered ludicrous by me and many of my peers. An educational program after all should rate itself exclusively on the quality of the product. The product being the students that it produces rather than the research grants it acquires or exposure it receives in national magazines. I fully realize that this is not a reality in the corporate collegiate academic world of today. However, in its purest form education is and should continue to be about developing highly well prepared, balanced graduates.

As a former New Orleans resident and Tulane Alumni, it is extremely difficult to see the damage and destruction that must now be somehow remedied. It is imperative that individuals like me dig deep into their pockets to assist in the reconstruction effort. However, I find it impossible to channel this money into a place that is, at least from my perspective, abandoning an important part of its history and legacy.

By eliminating these engineering programs Tulane is tarnishing not only its image and future but also its memory in the minds of many of its Alumni.

Sincerely,
M. Ivan Zlatar
'90 BSME
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: