Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments on Nick Altiero's Recent Plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpiad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Comments on Nick Altiero's Recent Plan Reply with quote

I'd like to post a couple of emails that comment on Nick Altiero's plan to expand the new "School of Science and Engineering." With his prior approval; I've also posted D.B.H. Chaffe's email response to my message. I believe these two emails go to the heart of what is wrong with Nick Altiero's misguided approach towards the School of Engineering and its curriculum.

-------------------------------------------------------

I can only thank my lucky stars that I attended Tulane's School of Engineering in the early 70's and graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering before the likes of Cowen and Altiero arrived to screw things up. That Civil Engineering degree ... that is so discounted by Altiero ... made it possible for me to rise above poverty and craft a prosperous and fulfilling life for me and my family. Thank you Dean Martinez, Dr. Bruce, Mr. Blessey, Dr. Lee and so many other great teachers and mentors for lending me the tools upon which to build a future. Altiero is just dead wrong ... and I don't see any revival possible unless and until Cowen and Altiero leave Tulane and more enlightened administrators take control of the University and the School. These men are so enamored of their own intellect and so closeted in their ivory towers that no amount of complaint or discourse will avert them from their tragic course. It is so unfortunate for Tulane and the scores of young people who could have otherwise earned real engineering degrees and gone on to make good lives for themselves and contributed positively to their communities ... so sad, so very sad.

Carlos Piad, October 26, 2006
BS Civil Engineering '76

And Mr. Piad, as it did for so many of my classmates in the 50's. That, incidentially (or perhaps principally) is the fault that the Board of Administrators found with the Engineering school; that so many of its students were from less affluent backgrounds leading to an immediate cause: increased tuition aid and therefore less cash for the University and a proximate cause : that graduates tended to be slow to build wealth and offer large dollar support to the University as alumni.

Higher education on the liberal mode is an elitist organization despite their comments to the contrary and the notion of civic service (everyone taking a day off to drive a few nails in a Habitat for Humanity home and be photographed at it). They are not interested in your story. This is a sorry attitude. In a very poor city like New Orleans it is indeed shortsighted to ignore the most likely way for less privileged/affluent folks to advance in society by using their native intellect and drive to acquire a technical education in a practical science that, in our country and the world, has great demand and economic benefit.
D.B.H. Chaffe III
Chaffe & Associates, Inc.
October 26, 2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: