Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loyola Education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ih8scottcowen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Loyola Education Reply with quote

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-18/1163399627214170.xml&coll=1

Now that's a world-class education and an example of professors that care. It's articles like this that make me glad Tulane scrapped engineering. Maybe they can get it right this time around. The CS dept. was particuarly outdated and disappointing - SPARC, Theory of Computation (what the f--- was that?!), foreigners who couldn't speak English teaching your labs (I felt like I was speaking to Dell tech support!), etc.

I wish CS did some things like this Loyola program when I was there. You know, show your students how to be overacheivers, how to be proactive, and how to apply what you learn in the classroom to the REAL WORLD.

Maybe it's best that Tulane Enginnering retool, rethink, and reassess their directions. I'm sure glad CS got shitcanned. I haven't applied 1 thing from my degree in the real world.
TheCzar35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: You don't throw the Baby out with bath wash Reply with quote

ih8scottcowen,
I understand your frustration, many times I wondered how I would use this stuff, but I can truly say I would not change much in my undergraduate education, it taught me how to solve problems. If anything the change Tulane is making will make their remaining engineering programs, including what is left of CS, more theoretical and less practical. I admit Tulane has had a problem with taking the advice of its Engineering Advisory Board(s). Many of us want to see a more practical balance with the theoretical in the undergraduate levels. That theoretical stuff comes later, if you so choose to go to graduate school. But I disagree with you about scrapping the programs just too clean house, that was not their only objective, they truly hate practical engineering. Practical engineers work for businesses and they are anti-business, so under the present leadership your hopes for a more hands on CS program at Tulane is just a dream. Cowen needs to go before you can get your wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: