Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing of Dean Martinez-A Tulane Engineering Great

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCzar35

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Passing of Dean Martinez-A Tulane Engineering Great Reply with quote

Dean John L. Martinez, had a long time association with Tulane University beginning as a student, later as a professor and administrator, died Monday, May 25 at his home in New Orleans at the age of 86. Mr. Martinez was a native of New Orleans, a graduate of Jesuit High School and the Tulane School of Engineering. He received a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Louisiana State University during World War II Mr. Martinez served in the United States Air Force as an instructor in flight training. Following his discharge from the Air force, he returned to Tulane to teach Mechanical Engineering and later became Associate Dean of the Engineering School. Subsequent positions at Tulane included Dean of Admissions and Director of Planned Giving. During his time with the Engineering School he conducted research in the Department of Orthopedics at the Tulane Medical School. In 2006 a Chair in Biomedical Engineering at Tulane was established in his name. "He was at the forefront of current experimental engineering developmental and research," said his colleague, retired Engineering Professor Chester Peyronnin. His retirement from Tulane was at the age of 80.

I will always appreciate how Dean Martinez treated my dad and I as I toured Tulane for admissions to the School of Engineering in 1972. He was very supportive, kind and helpful in recruiting me and getting me through the process. I was a good student from East Jefferson High School, but I didn't think Tulane was possible since I came from a middle class family. Dean Martinez showed my dad and I the way and helped me to get a scholarship and financial aid. He always put the students and potential students first. He was one of the men that made Tulane a great engineering school at that time. He inducted me into Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society, and I know he felt proud of me and my colleagues, knowing he chose us wisely from our respective high schools. Even though things are not the same as when he left Tulane, his legacy is in all of the young men and women he helped grow into the people and engineers we are today. My heart and prayers go out to the Martinez family in their time of loss.

Nick Musmeci, Society of Tulane Engineers
www.societyoftulaneengineers.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: