Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Censorship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. H.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Censorship Reply with quote

As was noted a few days ago, the EECS website linked to this site. It no longer does. In fact, it can't be reached from outside Stanley Thomas Hall. Anyone curious as to why?

Dr. H. Evil or Very Mad
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be used to get more students outside ENGR involved. This is unheard of on a college campus. Well its obvious that if the ADMIN had to have us blocked that people are starting to take us seriously. GOOD TO GO. Someone in N.O. should contact Tech services to see if and why they blocked it

If indeed the site has been blocked any proxy site should get you past it. If anyone is unsure of where these sites can be found shoot me an email using my forum mail.
mollyzogirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: we definitely noticed Reply with quote

We noticed this earlier today, and there have been posts about it under the "website suggestions" section of the forums. We definitely know why they blocked it, but we are still wondering who did it, and how to undo it. If nothing else it is ridiculous that the EECS students can no longer access their site at all to find out about degree requirements and other information. At least with the little note someone Wink had left up, there was still a link to the actual site.

~Molly
bethmcardle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to the alumni website, and tried to access the Society of Tulane Engineers. It doesn't work either - is this related? Are they trying to keep the info from getting out to Engineering alumni - or is it just an odd coincidence?
bethmcardle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YCorrection: You can get to the alumni page directly from http://www.eng.tulane.edu/ so perhaps the alumni index pages are just out of date. But there are no forums there where I can find out contact information for local chapters of STE.
ET097

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes me sad the new and improved eecs website is no longer up and running. i thought the new message was more appropriate than the flash lets try to attract future students to the department one.
TwoEven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal observations: the URL www.eecs.tulane.edu still resolves to juno.eecs.tulane.edu, but all requests on port 80 are blocked (SSH still works). This fix very obviously targeted the web server.
ET097

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EECS site is now back up. My big question is why did it take this long. I can understand the school has every right to do what they want with the site since they own it, but blocking students from seeing course descriptions and graduation requitments was horrible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: